Sunday 19 February 2012

Tonight's Musical Interlude: I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free

I spent the evening watching Whitney Houston's funeral and now I'm totally emotionally drained.
I looooved her when she first broke out and I wore out my cassette of her eponymous album by playing "Saving All My Love" constantly. I saw her in concert when she came to Omaha in 1987 and she was wonderful!
When I was in high school my musical tastes changed and I no longer listened to Whitney's music, and I was even annoyed by her biggest hit, "I Will Always Love You". But, man, I gotta say, her death hit me hard.
Such a loss of amazing, unbelievable talent! But, she had begun to fade years ago due to her stupid self-destructive choices. That makes it even more maddening.
Anyways, I'm not a Christian. I don't know what I believe in. It's complicated, I guess.
But! I do love gospel music I love the energy and passion! I also admire the commitment to faith on display.
This is my favorite gospel song and Jennifer Holliday is just fantastic.
So I guess this is my song for Whitney.
Jennifer Holliday, "His Eye is on the Sparrow"

No comments: