Thursday 19 January 2012

There's no place like home



I've been deluged (not really) with inquiries into why I've chosen to name this blog "Renegade Cornpone". More specifically, "What is 'cornpone'?" Well, dear reader it is a rather long and sordid tale of intrigue, romance and 2:00 am treks to the corner Gas-n-Shop for Big Gulps and beef jerky.

Yea. I might be exaggerating the "intrigue" and "romance" part. If only my life were that exciting.

For those unfamiliar with "cornpone", it's cornbread often made without milk or eggs and is baked or fried in a skillet with butter or bacon grease and is common in the American south and midwest. The word can also be used to describe someone who is unsophisticated, displaying certain rural or "hick" characteristics. My home state of Nebraska is pretty rural (lots of corn, cows and pick-up trucks) and you can say I'm pretty "unsophisticated". I guess I wanted to pay homage to my Nebraskan roots without having to use the word "cornhusker" (I'm not a big fan of college football). 


I'm always in some state of homesickness. Which is weird, because when I lived there I hated the place: the people were too conservative, it was a cultural wasteland and there weren't many opportunities for personal growth. But, since I've been living overseas I've found a greater appreciation for Nebraska and have begun to fully claim my Nebraskan identity. It's my homeland - for better or for worse. I really miss it.


Oh, and I REALLY miss being able to hit the convenience stores at 2:00am for Diet Pepsi Big Gulps. I miss having access to mass quantities of fountain beverages. 



No comments: