Monday 23 January 2012

Tonight's musical interlude: I've always considered myself a "Spinster"


I saw The Spinners at the Nebraska State Fair in 2007 1997 (I think). The audience totally sucked. It was full of senior citizens who didn't seem to care about the concert, but wanted to take advantage of the air conditioning and their AARP discount. If you had the audacity to stand up and dance, they would demand that you sit down. Despite the lameness, it was a GREAT show.



Man, the 1970s were a great time for tunes. I have said it a million times, but I'll say it again: "Soul Train" was the greatest television show ever produced by man.

I remember watching The Spinners sing "Rubberband Man" around the same time they were on Midnight. Special.  I wish my parents had listened to this type of music. I remember that my dad owned eight-track cassettes of the "best of" the Beatles, Beach Boys, and Jim Croce. The only album I remember my mom playing was Elvis Presley's Christmas album. So very boring.



I love that Raphael Saadiq is producing old-school, classic soul music. I saw him in Berlin last Spring and it was such a killer show. He's a great singer and his back-up is super tight, Plus, he's so dreamy! Continuing with The Spinners theme...

No comments: