Wednesday 25 January 2012

Tonight's musical interlude: Who is my favourite band?

My love for The Who is a rather decent development. Growing up, I listened to their songs on the radio, but the band never really impressed me all that much. 
I have Wes Anderson to thank for showing me the light. His soundtracks are always super rad and I have listened to "Rushmore" over and over and over and over and over again. One of my favourite tracks is The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away". It's freaking brilliant.


From "Rushmore":




From  "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus":



Keith Moon was a fucking shaman. I don't listen to anything recorded by the band after his death.
True story: The Stones refused to allow the film to be released because they felt The Who's performance was better than theirs. Ha!

A couple years ago on a whim, I decided to download "Quadrophenia" and the album totally blew my mind. It was then that The Who solidified its status as my favourite rock band. 
I think it's their best work. Some of the tracks get airplay ("Real Me", "Love Reign O'er Me"), but I don't think they work as well as they do when you hear the entire album from beginning to the end. "Love Reign O'er Me" is a good song, but after you have listened to it with the rest of the album, it becomes incredibly moving. Prior to listening to "Quadrophenia", I didn't thik it was that great. In fact, I thought it was kind of cheesy. But, now, it gives me the chills and I get a little verklempt. I dunno, maybe I can relate to the theme? Yea, I'm a teen-age boy in 1960s Brighton who loves Vespas and dreams of fitting in as a Mod. 






 


Their earlier albums were pretty ingenious, too. Plus, Roger Daltrey is just so beautiful. Serious bone structure.

No comments: